After their acclaimed debut book Got, Not Got (runner-up in the 2012 Football Book of the Year at the British Sports Book Awards) Derek Hammond and Gary Silke are back to revisit the lost football culture, treasures and pleasures, with their second book The Lost World of Football - which is available to buy now.
Once again Derek and Gary hit the target with their unique blend of grumpy humour and memories shared by millions of fans – all lavishly illustrated with more than 1000 pictures and items of fan memorabilia in a huge, all-encompassing addition to the expanding Got, Not Got series.
The Lost World of Football is a giant flick-through unforgettable football culture, clutter and wistful yearning. If you were one of the army of obsessive soccer kids at any time from England’s World Cup win to the dawn of the Premiership, you’ll find plenty to strike a chord.
The cool kits and tabletop games, the mud, mavericks and Melchester Rovers are back and here to stay. Flankers with triangular sideburns, petrol freebies and gluey sticker albums will soon once again be flickering past your senses like your long-lost videos of the Sunday soccer highlights.
Critical acclaim for Got, Not Got: Runner-up, Best Football Book, British Sports Book Awards 2012.
· “Astonishingly thorough, well-presented, inspired...” – When Saturday Comes
· “A cracking book which whisks you back to a different footballing era.” Brian Reade, The Mirror
· “A veritable Dundee cake of a book.” – Danny Kelly, talkSport
· “A long soak in a warm bath of football nostalgia.” – Mail on Sunday Live magazine
· “Exquisite... sumptuous... If you’ve not got Got, Not Got, you’ve got to get it.” – Backpass
· “It's like finding your old football stickers.” – James Brown, Sabotage Times
· “A body of work that transcends being ‘just a book’ by a considerable distance.” – In Bed With Maradona
· “Obviously, everybody over the age of 40 is going to absolutely love this. There's something for every fan of every club.” – Andy Jacobs, talkSport
· “The best book about football written in the last 20 years.” – Bill Borrows, Esquire
Derek Hammond has written about football for FourFourTwo, club programmes, BBC Radio 5 Live and mirror.co.uk. Gary Silke is editor of The Fox, one of the original and oldest football fanzines still in existence. The pair have provided football cards for The Onion Bag, BBC1's Match of the Seventies/Eighties and the National Football Museum.
The pair have also written and produced Leeds United, Manchester United and West Ham United editions of Got, Not Got and What a Shot! - an evocative and encapsulating collection of fans' nostalgic snaps of football grounds and days out. Both are out in October 2013.
Click here for more information on The Lost World of Football.
Click here for more information on Got, Not Got, including a free sample download.