As the corporate shirt sponsor at League Two Oxford United, Man City fanatic Steve Mingle endured two crazy seasons of emotional torment.
It was Heart vs. Head time for Steve, the author of three books on City, as he pinged between the modest directors’ box at the Kassam Stadium and the opposite end of the football spectrum, following megabucks City around the football glamour capitals of Europe.
The financial and footballing comparisons could hardly be greater, and Steve’s A Football Fling exposes the realities of life behind the scenes at the bottom and the top of the game. So… Could Oxford United Really Steal the Heart of a Manchester City Fanatic?
Read about what happens when ordinary fans become VIPs – and comparisons are drawn between high-flying City and lowly United…
- The high-cholesterol world of lower league boardrooms
- The match-day sponsor experience, and life as a football mascot
- The terrible view from the dugout and beyond: the manager who offered a fan outside
- The game where we wanted the opposition to win Use and abuse of the loan system, and how players are sourced and recruited
It’s football with financial restrictions vs. football with none whatsoever!
- A Cordon Bleu guide to Barcelona and Munich
- City and the media – and Van Gogh as a BT Sport subscriber
- Why City fans hate the Champions League – but why the Capital One Cup really matters
- Has success gone to City fans’ heads?
- The corporate lowdown: why do companies sponsor football teams?
Click here for more information, or to read a sample from A Football Fling:
Could Oxford United Really Steal the Heart of a Manchester City Fanatic?