SAINTS! ‘STOKES’ SIGNING, SUNDAY AT ST. MARY’S
Bobby Stokes author Mark Sanderson will be signing books and chatting to fans at the club shop at St Mary's Stadium between 12:30 and 13:30 this Sunday 1 May. The event commemorates the 40th anniversary of Bobby's winning goal in the FA Cup Final on 1 May 1976.
The book will give fans something to read in the day between the 1976 celebrations at the Guildhall at 14:30pm – details below – and Saints’ game with Man City which kicks off is at 16:30pm!
Bobby Stokes takes a long overdue look at the life of the Saints legend, and the man who scored the club's most famous goal. It features previously untold insights into Bobby’s life and career, including:
- Why his beloved hometown club, Portsmouth, failed to sign him.
- Signing for Southampton in spite of his headmaster’s and father’s wishes.
- Transcending the local rivalry between Southampton and Portsmouth.
- Inspiring Portsmouth to celebrate Southampton’s most famous goal.
- Reliving his FA Cup final-winning goal through the eyes of Southampton legend Mick Channon – and from the perspective of Alex Stepney, the Manchester United goalkeeper he scored past.
- Once and for all, clearing up whether or not Bobby’s Cup final goal was offside – with input from Brian Marchant, the linesman in the 1976 FA Cup Final.
- Bobby Stokes’s inability to find fulfilment after his football career and untimely death.
Click here for more information on the 1976 celebrations.
Click here for more information, or to read a sample from Bobby Stokes.