From near-extinction to cup-final triumph, this is the story of the team which is remembered by Hibs fans as 'the team that would not die' – offering a completely fresh look at a crucial period in history at Easter Road.
From Oblivion to Hampden is the tale of one of the most remarkable cup runs in Scottish football history, as Hibernian FC, having survived a hostile takeover by city rivals Hearts in 1990, a dreadful season in 1990/91 and summer spent in administration in 1991, bounced back from the brink of death to fight their way to Hampden glory a few months later.
Ian Colquhoun, co-author of Hibs On This Day, draws on exclusive interviews with cup heroes Keith Wright, Tommy McIntyre and Mickey Weir, as well as an interview with Sir Tom Farmer and input from current board members.
In From Oblivion to Hampden you will discover:
- How Hibs progressed in each round, in depth - including the three often-overlooked earlier round victories – with ‘head-to-head’ statistics from previous League Cup encounters against all five teams.
- How Alex Miller and his players went from no-hopers to cup-heroes in a matter of months.
- How season 1991-92 turned out to be one of Edinburgh football’s best.
- How a seemingly visionary plan by Hearts chief Wallace Mercer almost tore Edinburgh apart, yet ultimately cemented the capital’s status as a two-club city forever.
- Just how much Scottish football has changed in the last 25 years.
- The story of how Hibs’ heroic youth-team also became cup-heroes in season 1991-92.
- How Duff and Gray’s ‘revolution’ almost killed Hibernian FC, despite enjoying some early successes.
- How cup heroes like Tommy McIntyre, Keith Wright and Mickey Weir saw the cup-win at the time and how they see it now, 25 years on.
- Who was the future Serie A and England star who Hibs almost signed in 1988?
- What would life really have been like, if Hibs had died in 1990/91?
- Just what happened in Edinburgh on the night of the cup win as the open topped bus toured?
- What lessons have Hibernian and its fans learned from the 1990-91 troubles?
- The stars who won the cup for Hibs in 1991 – where are they now?
Click here for more information, or to read a sample from From Oblivion to Hampden.