THIS FRIDAY: MEET YOUR ‘SKY BLUE HEROES’ OF 1987
Don’t miss your chance to meet Coventry City legends Dave Bennett, Cyrille Regis, Steve Ogrizovic, Micky Gynn and Trevor Peake this Friday evening at Waterstones in Coventry city centre.
They’ll all be chatting with fans and signing copies of Steve Phelps’s Cov classic Sky Blue Heroes. Author Steve tells the story of City’s first major trophy in their 104-year history and, for the first time, the book reunites the entire ‘cast of ‘87’ to recount their cherished memories.
Also present on Friday will be a ‘mystery guest’ who'll see the players for the first time since 1989. The event takes place at Waterstones, Coventry on Friday 27th November, from 5:30pm to 7:30pm. The book can be reserved with a £3 deposit before the launch.
Sky Blue Heroes is a brilliantly detailed documentary of magical times for Coventry. Author Steve Phelps has tracked down and interviewed not only all the players and backroom staff but the local media, mascots, songwriters – discovering countless more amazing stories along the way.
- The vice-Chairman who waged £1000 at 50-1 prior to Round 3 on Cov to win the FA Cup.
- The injured youth team player taken to Stoke in round five by John Sillett as kitman – and ended up in the victorious Wembley team picture.
- How moving the semi-final to the Sunday was a huge relief for one fan whose engagement party was booked for the Saturday night.
- John Sillett's words of wisdom for Michael Gynn as he replaced injured Nick Pickering in the semi-final as City trailed 1-0.
- The club secretary who took home the 25,000 cup final ticket allocation, to count, prior to going on sale.
- The day spent recording the cup final song in the front room of a Coventry semi.
- The sub who found out he was on the bench for the final at 1:30 on the day of the game
- Cup final substitutes Graham Rodger and Steve Sedgley's thoughts as Brian Kilcline lay injured on the Wembley turf.
- Nick Pickering's memory of the moment Lloyd McGrath's cross looped up off Gary Mabbutt's knee towards goal.
Click here for more information, or to read a sample from
Sky Blue Heroes: The Inside Story of Coventry City’s 1987 FA Cup Win.